Entertaining guests at the last minute can be a total nightmare! There are just so many factors to consider: Will everyone get along? Will there be enough wine? What will I serve? Occasions like these merit an arsenal of simple, quick recipes that can be whipped up at a moment’s notice. Cue the Walnut, Goat Cheese and Honey Crostini.
This effortlessly elegant dish pairs perfectly with an arugula salad and plays well with a plethora of beverages, from Pinot Noir to a Manhattan. So next time you’re in need of last minute hors d’oeuvres, impress your guests with this simple treat!
What’s your go-to recipe for last-minute company?
- 1 loaf of artisanal bread (I used a 5-grain loaf)
- 3oz log of goat cheese, near room temperature
- Coarsely chopped walnuts
- Wildflower honey
- Fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Cut loaf of bread into thick slices and bake until very lightly toasted.
- Remove toasted bread and spread with goat cheese. Sprinkle with walnuts and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until walnuts look toasted.
- Plate the crostini and drizzle with honey. Sprinkle with fresh sprigs of thyme.
- Almost everything about this recipe is interchangeable. Try using different soft cheeses, nuts, and herbs for a season-appropriate finger food.
- Cutting the crostini in half is a great idea if the gathering will be more conducive to eating while standing.